Keeping It Fresh Tips To Make Your Spring Look Last Though Out Racing Day
A while ago, we had the privilege of talking to Mecca makeup artist Ashleigh Butterss. She discussed with us the most significant thing for saving face on race day: primers. Ashleigh says, “Primers are essential for not only special occasions but will assist in your everyday makeup look. There are hundreds of different options out on the market so it’s important to know what you’re trying to target when choosing the right one for you. The benefit of using primers in your makeup regime is undeniable, it may take a few extra minutes in the morning, but your face will be thanking you eight hours on!”
Primer Tips and Tricks
- Always apply primer with your fingersunless otherwise specified.
- When applying a powder over a liquid or cream based primer, wait a few minutes.
- Always choose your primer based on your skin type. There is a wide range of variety available for all types of skin types. From oily to dry- there is nothing to worry about now.
- Different colored primers are intended to generate diverse effects on the skin. For example, green primers are great at counteracting redness on the skin while purple-toned primers will brighten any sallow tones in the skin. If you’re not sure what’s best, head to a beauty counter and the makeup artist will be able to guide you in the right direction.
- You can use multiple primersif you have more than one concern with your skin. If you’re oily through you T-zone but dehydrated on your cheeks, use two products to combat each concern. Layering primers can also work really well to achieve double-duty results
These are designed to stop your skin from absorbing your foundation. Choosing the right face primer should be based on your skin type. Also consider the overall effect you want to create, i.e. glowing, shining or matte. If you have very oily skin try Hourglass Veil Primer. If redness is your main worry the Stila One Step Correct is the way to go. If you want to brighten dullness I recommend Mecca Cosmetica Lit From Within.
With eye primers the idea is to stop the eyelids from becoming oily and creasing your eye makeup. These should be applied with your fingers — they will increase the colour payoff of your eyeshadows immensely when it’s layered on top.
Finally for the lips a primer is again necessary, whether you’re wearing a bold colour or a soft nude. Lip primers will help to keep those lipsticks smooth and in-line by preventing bleeding around the mouth area.