Gigi Hadid- 5 Things You Didn’t Know About This Model
1. Gigi’s real name is Jelena Noura Hadid. Her mother, Yolanda Foster (The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills star and former Ford model), though of the nickname when Gigi was just starting grade school. “My mom was called that as a kid by her mother when she was younger, but only around the house. I was called that around the house when I was really young,” she told Vogue earlier this year. “In first or second grade, there was a girl named Helena and it got confusing with the teacher who had to call out our names, and so the teacher asked my mom, ‘If I needed to call Jelena a nickname, what would it be?’ And my mom was like, ‘I call her Gigi sometimes,’ and the name stuck.”
2. Although Hadid signed with IMG Models when she was 17 years old, her modeling career began well before then. “I was discovered by Paul Marciano, of Guess, when I was actually, like, 2 years old,” she told Vanity Fair in 2014. “And so I started with Baby Guess; I did Guess Kids. . . . Since I started with IMG, I’ve done three Guess campaigns.”
3. When Hadid was in her teens, she gave a break to modeling and concentrated more on her athletic ambitions. “I stopped because I was a really competitive horseback rider and a club volleyball player,” she said. “I went to Junior Olympic qualifiers for volleyball. So, I kind of stopped modeling. I just wanted to have a normal childhood and go to high school.” Gigi’s younger sister, Bella, is also a talented equestrian revealed that she’s training for the 2016 Olympics. Gigi has quit sports competitively but she does do boxing now.
4. Hadid and Kendall Jenner are not just model best friends—there’s a little bit of a blended family history between the two runway clelebs. Hadid’s mother is currently married to the music producer David Foster. Foster was previously married to former beauty queen and songwriter Linda Thompson. Thompson’s first marriage was to Bruce Jenner, and together, they had two children, Brandon Jenner and Brody Jenner. So, basically, Gigi’s stepfather was also the stepfather of Kendall’s half-brothers.
5. In fall 2013, Hadid began her studies at New York City’s New School, studying criminal psychology. She once said that she hopes to graduate college by the time she’s 23 years old, “feeling like my four years of school was worth it in terms of how much I learned academically and personally. I hope to still have a successful modeling career and maybe be in love with someone great.”